Some things Change…
The saying ‘The only thing guaranteed in life is change’ is very true for the Recycling program.
Recent changes include:
- Dry cell battery recycling. Batteries of all types (computer, button, power tools) should be placed in a closed plastic bag with other recyclables.
- Free curbside pickup of recyclables every week in Creighton. The collector reports about 60% of Creighton residents are recycling and garbage has been reduced by at least 25%.
- Another convenient place to drop off recycling. The City of Flin Flon purchased a trailer to collect recyclables. It is parked in the Extra food parking lot. A truck is left at the site when the trailer is emptied at the Recycling Centre.
- Changes to the schedule for red bag curbside recycling. Recycling is collected from front curbs every other week in all of Flin Flon since Creighton has its own service. The September collection dates are September 3 and 17.
- Increases in the number of business pickups. Businesses can have their recycling picked up on a regular schedule or as needed for a fee of $22.50 plus GST.
- Fewer staff at the Recycling Centre. The number of positions was reduced from 6 fulltime to 4 fulltime and 1 part time since most materials are shipped to Winnipeg to be sorted.
- Less weekend mess at the Centre. One staff person works a few hours each day on the weekend moving recyclables inside of the building.
- Information and updates on Facebook – Flin Flon Recycling.
Recyclable materials continue to flow through the Centre to their next life. In 2014, two loads of e-waste (19 tonnes) and17 loads of recyclables (262 tonnes) have been shipped.