In 2016, corrugated cardboard was 47% of materials recycled. Nine percent was office paper. This tells us the majority of recyclables in Flin Flon does not come from homes.
It is great that many workplaces in our community recycle.
There are industrial places like HudBay, commercial enterprises like grocery stores and restaurants, and institutions like schools and health care facilities.
The Recycling Centre picks up recyclables from 45 workplaces. The pickup schedule varies. Some places have pickups several times a week. Others have pickups once or twice a month or when needed. There is a fee for this service.
Several businesses producing large amounts of recyclables store items in a large bin or shed.
Some workplaces bring their recyclables to the Centre.
Here are some tips for recycling at work:
- Flatten cardboard boxes and put them in one box. It will take up less space and is easier to carry.
- Shredded office paper can be recycled. It should be in a separate bag. Remove all newsprint, plastic covers, file folders and other things before shredding.
- Provide a recycling container every desk as most waste at desks is recyclable paper.
- Coffee cups, tissues, paper towels, plastic wrapping, food items, candy and food wrappers, are not recyclable and belong in the garbage.
- Many posters and other display materials are recyclable. If it can be torn it is recyclable.
- Laminated items and mixed materials like padded envelopes, and coffee cans made of tin and cardboard are not recyclable.
- Several sizes of bins for beverage containers are available free for businesses from Recycle Everywhere.