Last week it was OCC. This week’s acronym is ICI. It refers to Industrial, Commercial and Institutional recycling. In other words, it is recycling in work places.
Many workplaces in our community recycle. The Recycling Centre picks up from 42 of them. There are industrial places like HudBay, commercial enterprises like grocery stores and restaurants, and institutions like schools and health care facilities.
Cardboard is the main material recycled followed by office paper and beverage containers. Some outlets have lots of newspapers and fliers.
The number of pickups varies. Some have pickups several times a week while others are once a month or when needed. There is a fee for this service.
Others businesses bring their recyclables to the Centre.
It is great to have so many workplaces recycling.
Here are some tips for recycling at work:
- Flatten cardboard boxes and put them in one box so less space is required and it is easier to carry.
- Shredded office paper can be recycled. It should be in a separate bag. Remove all newsprint, plastic covers, file folders and other things before shredding.
- Provide a recycling container at desks as most waste at desks is recyclable paper.
- Coffee cups, tissues, paper towels, plastic wrapping, food items, candy and food wrappers, are not recyclable and belong in the garbage.
- Many posters and other display materials are recyclable. If it can be torn it is recyclable.
- Laminated items and mixed materials like padded envelopes, and coffee cans made of tin and cardboard are not recyclable.
- Several sizes of bins for beverage containers are available free for business from Recycle Everywhere.
For more information, call 204 687 6169.