This is a time to look back and assess how things are going.
2014 has been a great year at the Recycling Centre.
We were 20 tonnes ahead of last year at the end of November.
Some highlights are:
- Household battery recycling was added to the program.
- Creighton began free curbside pickup May 1. Red bag curbside pickups changed to every other Wednesday in all of Flin Flon.
- The City of Flin Flon purchased a trailer that is parked in the Extra Foods parking lot. Many residents find this a more convenient location to drop off their recyclables.
- Fees for services were increased to cover costs. Curbside service increased for the first time in four years from $2.50 to $3.50 per red bag. Business pick up fees increased to $22.50. These fees will remain the same for 2015.
- The financial support from Flin Flon and Creighton was 20 percent of revenue. This supports processing the materials at the Centre and shipping them.
- Twenty seven households from Denare Beach and the lakes contributed to the costs of recycling as there was no municipal funding from these areas. We are hopeful this will change in 2015.
- Beer returns were 40 percent of the sale of product this year.
Thirty businesses have scheduled recycling pickups. Fifteen use the service as needed.
An average of 38 households use the Red bag curbside service in Flin Flon.
The Recycling Centre has four fulltime and one part-time staff. There are two regular volunteers. Four staff share two positions at the landfill.
Nine people volunteer as Board members.
Thank you to everyone for making recycling a success this year.