I was on the dock the other day when someone dropped off recycling. They had a nice gift box with padding inside and wondered if it was recyclable. The answer was no because it was a mix of different materials.
I love questions. When people ask about what is recyclable and what isn’t it means we have less garbage coming to the Recycling Centre.
Here are answers to some of the common questions.
- Items with mixed materials like padded envelopes with plastic, containers that are metal and cardboard, or special boxes with padding, plastic or Styrofoam are not recyclable.
- Plastic bags, liners, wrappers and other ‘film’ plastic and Styrofoam are not recyclable.
- We cannot recycle aluminium foil pans.
- We cannot recycle coffee cups, paper towels, disposable plates and cutlery.
- Old dishes, mirrors, and window glass cannot be recycled, only glass bottles and jars.
- We cannot recycle old furniture, toys, clothes, window blinds and kitchen appliances with the exception of microwaves.
I understand that people want to recycle as much as possible. However, please check it out first as non-recyclable items are garbage. The less we have to deal with the better.
There are several ways to find out if an item is recyclable. Check the list on the website www.flinflonrecycling.org or the pictures on the Flin Flon Recycling Facebook page. Call us at 204 687 6169. Leave a message if no one answers. A paper list is also available at the Centre.
Remember: If it is on the list, recycle it. If it’s not, it’s garbage.