The Flin Flon landfill is governed by regulations from Manitoba Conservation. These regulations require that materials are separated in different areas of the landfill.
These areas are:
- Household – for garbage and items that don’t belong in other areas
- Tires – used tires of all sizes which need to be sorted by size
- Metal items of all kinds
- Used motor oil, antifreeze, and the containers for these products
- Wood only (burn pit)
- Fridges, freezers, air conditioners ($25.00 charge for removing refrigerant)
- Car Batteries
- Mixed construction materials that do not belong anywhere else
Many things are being dumped in the wrong place. Landfill attendants are able to move some, but do not have the time or equipment to sort through it all.
Manitoba Conservation is requiring (demanding) that everything is in the right place.
It is important that mixed loads for the landfill are organized for easy unloading in the right places.
Landfill employees are available to give directions and answer questions as needed.
There will be new signs in the near future.
Many still refer the landfill as the dump which implies you bring waste, dump it and go.
As we become more responsible with our waste, it is more accurately called the waste disposal facility. Some items are covered filling the land (landfill). Many items are removed for recycling or safe disposal.
No tipping fees are needed for loads that contain only metal, tires, oil, and car batteries.
Large amounts of cardboard should be dropped off at the Recycling Centre.
It is another way things are changing as we learn to take better care of the earth.
For more information call 204 687 6169.