Aluminum – 124 kg
Commingled* - 8,878kg
Office Paper – 1,313 kg
Cardboard – 21,700 kg
Glass – 2,959 kg
Other plastics –
Printer Cartridges –
Total for 2022 – 509,929 kg
Total for 2021 – 564,357 kg
Difference – - 54,428
* Co-mingled is unsorted materials sent to Winnipeg for sorting
Comments – This is the second year we have recycled less than the year before since the recession of 2009. In 2016 we recycled 2% less than the year before. This year we recycled 10% less!
I recently spoke to Thompson Recycling and they recycled 10% less as well.
There is something bigger happening here. Some possibilities:
- - Covid made lots of things different.
- - People are consuming less.
- - Packagers are working to reduce the amount of packaging.
- - There is less paper (fiber) in the waste stream with fewer newspapers, magazines, etc.
Whatever it is, our total tonnage says something is changing. It will be interesting to see what 2023 brings.