Many times there are unique letter codes that describe aspects of a specific activity that leaves outsiders confused and in the dark.
Recycling is no different. Here is a partial list of its alphabet soup with explanations.
- CBCRA – Canadian Beverage Containers Recycling Association – This organization is funded by the beverage container industry. It sponsors the Recycle Everywhere program with free recycling bins for public spaces.
- EPRA – Electronic Products Recycling Association – This organization is funded by the electronics industry. It pays recyclers per tonne to collect e waste as well as the cost of shipping it to the recycling plant.
- FFDEC – Flin Flon & District Environment Council, Inc – This is the local non-profit organization responsible for the Recycling Centre.
- HHW – Household Hazardous Waste – This is the harmful stuff that needs to be disposed of correctly so it won’t damage the environment.
- MARR – Manitoba Association of Regional Recyclers – The grassroots organization of municipal officials, employees and recycling operators. More information is available on their website at www.marrmb.com
- MMSM – Multi Material Stewardship of Manitoba – This industry run organization provides subsidies and technical support to municipalities for household recycling.
- OCC – old corrugated cardboard. OCC is more than half of the material collected for recycling in our community. It sells for $30.00/tonne.
- ONP – Old Newsprint. Some is baled separately and sold for $10.00. It is also mixed in with the comingled material and sorted in Winnipeg.
- PM – Printers Mix or another name for office paper. A lot of printers mix comes to the Centre separated or shredded so it is baled separately and sold for $75./tonne.
Take the quiz on our facebook page – Flin Flon Recycling.
Comment - the quiz is also available as a separate post in categories - The Recycling Bin 2015.